Monday, April 29, 2013

April Keyword Challenge


For April the Keyword options were secret, shadow, whisper, flower, garden, home, friend, gentle, little, light. I chose a book with garden in the title, but it was also about secrets, and flowers, friends, and home.

The book is The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton published in 2008.

The Forgotten Garden is a tale of mystery and intrigue. It weaves fairytales and history together into a wonderful tale of good triumphing over evil and knowledge clearing away darkness.
The chapters are a jumble of stories telling the story of Nell and the Mountrachets , similarly to the way a box of family history documents tells the story of a family. Documents come out in a confused way until slowly a picture is pieced together of the lineage and histories of the people flesh out.
Along with the story lines from 1907-1913, 1975, and 2005, Morton entwines fairy tales written by one character, the Authoress, Eliza Makepeace, daughter of Georgiana Mountrachet Makepeace. The tales have a deeper meaning as all fairy stories do.
I was fascinated by all of the stories and while I did figure out one of the mysteries, I didn’t understand the motive at all until the end. And yes I liked the fairytale ending.
This challenge is hosted by Kim at Bookmarks to Blog. Find reviews of other books there.

4 comments:

  1. I've read it, and I love it!

    I'm trying to get another one of her books, it's on hold at the library. I've read two of them now, and really like her style.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book. I think it was the first book by Kate Morton that I read. I like her style of writing a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hosting this challenge Kim. It is helping me make a dent in my TBR list. Although, Kate Morton may build it up again.

      Delete
  3. I have this sitting in my TBR pile. I haven't read any Kate Morton books but look forward to reading this. I am stopping by from the Challenge where i just posted my review of Little Women for April, a little late :)

    ReplyDelete