Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Vintage 2013 - Lord Peter Wimsey Mysteries 1-3

I read several Lord Peter Wimsey Mysteries by Dorothy L. Sayers and haven't linked them to the Vintage site, so I'm rectifying that over sight today. Here are my thoughts on each one from goodreads.

Whose Body? (1923) 4 stars
In the first Lord Peter Wimsey mystery, Sayers introduces one of my favorite dectectives. I love the name she chose as it signifies to me the way he goes about his investigations, whimsically. His first recorded case deals with a body found mysteriously in a bath tub. Whose body is this and how did he get here?

Clouds of Witness (1926) 3 stars
The second Lord Wimsey mystery finds two of his siblings suspected of lying, obstructing justice, or worse, murder.

A goodreads reviewer mentioned that Sayers uses the writing conventions of the vintage mystery which  I usually find charming, but this one was a bit slow especially at the end.

Unnatural Death (1929) 3 stars
Quite the vicious killer portrayed in this gold age mystery. This is the third book in the Wimsey series and while not my favorite, it kept me guessing.

But the Bibliographal Notes in my copy? Those were just confusing. Why reference things that haven't occurred in the main characyer's life yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment